Saturday, November 12, 2005

Unexpected Kindness

This happened sometime at the end of last year or the beginning of this year (not entirely sure):
So there I was just stepped out of the train and walking (very fast) on a hot summer's day (probably summer 'cause I usually don't catch a bus otherwise) towards the bus stop, trying very hard to keep my aabeyya (is that how it's spelt? ... sheeeeesh!! I'm so incompetent at spelling) from flowing all around me. And just as I get within 10meters of the bus, the door slams shut and the bus starts to pull out; ... the driver had not seen me. "Aaaaah, nuts!!", I think to myself, "It's gonna be a looong walk home". Soooooo I make an about-turn and start walking along the road that my bus also takes ... and whaddo ya know! - the huge vehicle makes a stop when it comes beside me and the door opens!!! The drivers asks me if I wanted to catch this bus.
How very nice of him! Most of the bus drivers of my uni wouldn't do that. In fact, I heard of an account of the total opposite of this kindness. A friend was telling me that the bus driver shut the door in her face! But then there are the jolly fellows who always smile (either that or they just have a smiling face) and are always nice to you. Good on them.

Now onto other news under the headline of "It's good to see that the efforts of most of the psychologists in Bangladesh are not going to waste."
Beloved mother and I went for dawat to a neighbour's house a few days ago, who at that time had probably planned to watch some "Eid special" natoks airing on a Bangladeshi channel. The natok hadn't started yet and there were some 15-20 ads playing. They are soooooo funny!!! (Pecularly and pathetically funny, not haha funny). I don't suppose Bangladesh has many, if any, psychologists working for ad companies, which is a relief 'cause so many talents and professions in Bangladesh already either go to waste, or out of the country. The ads don't seem to apply much more of conditioned learning knowledge apart from chucking in some songs and music. And, sheeesh, they use those a lot; there is not one ad without them!!!
Let me give you an example - Soyabean oil ad; husband comes home, and husband and wife have a very sing-song-y conversation:
Husband: এই, খানাপিনা কই?
Wife: এই, সয়াবিন তেল কই? (in a very ঢঙি way)
Husband: ও, ভুলে গেছি। নিয়ে আসি। (or something like that)
They they're seen eating and singing (literally) praises of how healthy and tasty their brand of "Soyabean tel" is. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be convinced into buying that from watching that ad.

5 comments:

»|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

So many talents and professions in Bangladesh already either go to waste, or out of the country Goldern words; these, so true! Take are for instance, that's assuming we have talent *lol*

»|m|u|n|i|r|a|« said...

Take us for instance, that's assuming we have talent! *lol*

Aaisha said...

The soyabean tel ad is good compared to some of the other ones. Theres this 1 ad with like 6 scenes all with a girl and a guy flirtatiously talking and walking around. And the last scene they show a dabba of some vaseline or lip gloss and thats it. The end. HAHA, i wonder what the guy and girl had to do with the product? :S

Jibonjatri said...

Doe: that's because guys always chase and models always run.lol

my first visit here too!

Emu said...

doe and pa: welcome to my humble [riiiiiiiight] ramble. Apnader paer dhulote amar blog aro dhonno holo.